Getting Dental Care in Sutherlin Oregon for a Tooth Extraction
Of course, oral health professionals are there to help you keep your natural teeth in a healthy condition as long as possible. Sometimes, a tooth extraction is necessary to achieve proper dental care in Sutherlin Oregon. It can also be the last resort following the failure of previous treatments. In some instances, patients and their dentists may decide it is the best course of action because its cost is less than some restoration treatments. In short, there are many clinical situations that may require extraction:
* The teeth cannot be restored because it is too damaged by decay
* Teeth with significant loosening due to gum disease
* Fractured tooth due to trauma
* Wisdom teeth can cause complications
* Primary teeth that do not fall quickly enough to allow space for permanent teeth is also a reason
* Teeth can be extracted for orthodontic treatment in order to have enough room to align the other teeth
* Supernumerary teeth (extra tooth compared to the normal number of teeth). A normal, healthy mouth should only have 32 teeth. In some cases, a patient may have 33 or more.
How are teeth extracted?
Tooth extraction involves removing a tooth from its socket in the jaw bone. The ligament connecting the tooth to the gum is severed with a dental instrument. The tooth is then grasped with forceps and using specific movements, it is dislodged from its socket. There are two kinds of possible extraction. First, the simple extraction is carried out when the tooth is accessible and visible in the mouth and secondly, there is the complex extraction that requires an incision in the gum and some stitches. This type of Dental Care in Sutherlin Oregon is used when the tooth is difficult to access, it is under the gum or when its roots are very strong.
For a simple extraction, local anesthesia (numbing the tooth) is sufficient. By cons, when you have to perform complex extractions, some patients prefer to be asleep. Options like intravenous sedation and general anesthesia will be presented by your surgeon.
Is it possible to extract several teeth at a time?
There are many advantages when performing multiple extractions. The patient should have just one appointment because the total cost is less compared to extractions divided into several sessions. Due to the number of teeth extracted, intravenous sedation or general anesthesia is recommended for patient comfort. For more information, contact your local dentist today.